By MANDI WOODRUFF
Everyone likes to save a buck. But sometimes in life, being cheap will cost you.
Why put up with an inferior product when you could invest in something high quality that is much less likely to disappoint?
We culled the responses in a Reddit thread asking consumers to list pricey items that they never regret buying. Here are the best of the bunch.
1. A Tempurpedic mattress: "My girlfriend at the time had chronic back pain. Spent $3,000 on a mattress. I can never go back."
2. Shoes: "Rule of thumb: don't skimp on anything that separates you from the ground."
3. High speed internet: "Once you have it you can NEVER go back."
4. Tools: "Bad craftsmen blame their tools. Good craftsmen buy good tools."
5. Bread: "Can't possibly buy a loaf of average white bread when it's only $1 more for the WAY better stuff."
6. Ballpoint pen: "Spent
$4 on a kickass ballpoint pen. Ridiculously smooth and comfortable. My
handwriting speed and neatness improved dramatically. Never going back
to the $2 for a pack of 10 again."
7. Cutlery: "Can't beat a sharp knife when chopping up food."
8. Bed sheets: "I
slept on 180 thread count for 23 years of my life. Then, a girl I was
going out with had 1,000 thread count sheets on her bed. Holy crap. What
9. Sushi: "Never, ever, ever, ever eat discount sushi. Ever."
10. Bras: "After
getting myself a properly-fitted $70 bra, I look 10 pounds slimmer, my
back doesn't hurt anymore, and my clothes fit better. There's no going
back from here."
11. Farm fresh vegetables: "I
have been getting most of my vegetables at the farmer's market lately
and I don't think I can go back to my supermarket. I love to eat my
tomatoes raw. They taste different. Sweet, almost spicy."
12. Shaving cream:
"I got one of the fancy kinds as a gift a few years ago, and I can
never go back. It doesn't even feel like I'm shaving. It's more like
being softly nuzzled by a friendly koala."
13. Jeans: "I may buy the rest of my clothes at Target and Kohl's, but I have never found a cheap pair of jeans that fit me just right."
14. Tattoos: "You get exactly what you pay for."
15. Headphones: "I don't understand why anyone uses the stock phones that come with their phone, iPod, whatever."
"I always drank Maker's Mark in the past. I recently got a bottle of
9-year Knob Creek. I'd be afraid that trying anything better would force
me to spend another $10 a bottle going forward, but I also got a bottle
of Johnny Walker Blue, which tastes like floor cleaner, so I should be
17. Backpack: "A good quality backpack,
decently large size with comfortable straps, non-flimsy load
distribution clasps, good number of pockets and utility pockets, and
(most of all) high quality zippers is easily worth the money." - DailyFinance Savings Experiment