Instead of resolutions you’re likely to break or expensive gym memberships you won't use, try out some quick moves from the ancient art of feng shui to help ensure this year is your best one yet.
Feng shui coach Susan Chan has been consulting clients on how to balance their lives for over 10 years. She gave Mashable insider tips that take minutes, with results that last much longer.
See also: 9 Valuable Things You Didn't Know Are Lying Around Your House “Your external world is a representation of what’s going on inside of you,” Chan says. “When something in your home is off it affects your mood, it’s the internal and the external constantly going back andforth.”
1. Always see the door from your desk at work.Take a second, pretend you’re in an airplane and locate the exit nearest to you. If it happens to be behind you, Chan suggests you get that doorway in sight or else risk being energetically unsettled.
She calls the concept “the command position.” At one time, this meant you could see your enemies in case of attack; now it's translated to being in control of your life.
If moving your desk around isn’t very realistic, try placing a small mirror on your desk so surprises will have nothing on you.
2. Bring some warmth or life to your desk in the form of a plant or a yellow picture frame.
Most offices are equipped with overhead fluorescent lighting and stark hues of metal. If this is the case, try adding some desk decor in warm colors like yellows and reds to offset that metallic energy.
“What we try to do is try to mimic nature, because nature is a perfect balance
What we try to do is try to mimic nature, because nature is
a perfect balance,” Chan says. In the case of your office cubicle, “it
could be bringing in something that is warmer, like wood energy, like a
3. Ban any and all electronics and workout equipment from your bedroom.You've heard by now that televisions in the bedroom can be disruptive, but who hates late-night HBO? If you’re having trouble sleeping, try kicking out all electronics from your bedroom (and yes,
that means your cellphone, too).
“The energy that is emitted from the electronics upsets your physical energy,” Chan says. “You want to make sure that your bedroom is just a place for rest.” That means no workout gear, no work and, sorry, no Netflix.
4.Get rid of all the clutter underneath your bed.Another clue to what could be keeping you up at night: the monster under your bed known as junk you haven’t touched in years.
“You want to try to make sure that underneath your bed is clear so that the energy can circulate,” Chan says. “But if you do need to store things underneath your bed, make sure it's soft things like clothes.”
5. Keep your stove top clean and all your burners working.Is your stove top another crowded extension of your countertop? That needs to change. Chan calls the stove top a symbol of your wealth that should not be neglected. Keep it clear of pots and pans and use all the burners while cooking.
6. To balance your relationship, balance your nightstands.If possible, have matching nightstands or those similar in shape, size and height.
“Matching nightstands and lamps also signify each person in the relationship, so if one side is a giant armoire and another is a tinynightstand, it's representative of the relationship,” Chan says.
7. Literally reignite your spark by lighting two candles.Candles are symbolic of fire as well as tools for energizing. Using candles for your relationship area requires lighting one to represent each person.
8. Keep your entryway clean and welcoming, and maybe even invest in a welcome mat.“The one big thing that I like to tell people, especially if it’s to get organized, is to make sure that your front entry is clear because this is where your opportunities come in,” Chan says.
The door should be able to open at a 90-degree angle, and there should be no shoes or errant distractions nearby. Since that’s the first space of your home, making sure that the energy is bright and uplifting will affect your own energy each time you come home.
And when it comes to welcome mats, Chan allows it, “Put something outside your door so it attracts opportunity.”
Finally, Chan has one last reminder about your new feng shui swag: “Those are just reminders of your intention.”
8 easy feng shui changes to make right now